Welcome Visitor. First time here? Like what you see? Bookmark us for when you are bored, and check out 'top shots' and 'fantastic (editors choice)' in the menu above, you won't be dissapointed. Join our community! click here to sign up for an account today. Sick of this message? Get rid of it by logging-in here.



One of a kind streamlined doodlebug CNR D-1 rattles through Bayview Junction headed for the Milton Sub as train 660 from Hamilton to Allandale, becoming train 661 at Georgetown.  It will continue along to Meaford as train 61.  The return trip will operate as train 62 Meaford to Allandale, 662 Allandale to Georgetown, and 663 Georgetown to Hamilton.  If operating on time, one could make the 144-mile round trip in 12 hours and 25 minutes.  A 1956 timetable (page 8) lists the northbound trip as having a 0730h departure from James Street station, arriving Allandale at 1115h before departing for Meaford at 1145h with a 1350h arrival.  Departing Meaford at 1415h, the train returned to Allandale at 1610h, departing for Hamilton at 1635h and arriving at 1955h.  Passenger service on the line ended during 1960.Originally constructed by Canadian Car & Foundry as oil-electric CNR 15834 in 1926, the car would be converted circa 1951 – 1952 from a typical combine with baggage and passenger seating to an all baggage car to be used with two trailers, C-1 and C-2.  The C-1 served as a combination RPO car with a seating section for passengers and featured a letter slot used during station stops, while trailer C-2 carried strictly passengers.  The paint scheme seen above was applied sometime between 1956 and 1958 (stay tuned, the original scheme will be posted soon) and at the same time included the addition of the centre cab window and the dual sealed beam headlights installed overhead rather than the old “barrel” type.More of train 662:At Caledon East, June 1960 by Ian MacDonald.At Inglewood with conventional equipment, July 1960 by Clayton Morgan.At Stewarttown, June 1960 by Ian MacDonald.Original Photographer Unknown, Al Chione Duplicate, Jacob Patterson Collection Slide.
Copyright Notice: This image ©Al Chione Duplicate; Jacob Patterson Collection all rights reserved.



Caption: One of a kind streamlined doodlebug CNR D-1 rattles through Bayview Junction headed for the Milton Sub as train 660 from Hamilton to Allandale, becoming train 661 at Georgetown. It will continue along to Meaford as train 61. The return trip will operate as train 62 Meaford to Allandale, 662 Allandale to Georgetown, and 663 Georgetown to Hamilton. If operating on time, one could make the 144-mile round trip in 12 hours and 25 minutes. A 1956 timetable (page 8) lists the northbound trip as having a 0730h departure from James Street station, arriving Allandale at 1115h before departing for Meaford at 1145h with a 1350h arrival. Departing Meaford at 1415h, the train returned to Allandale at 1610h, departing for Hamilton at 1635h and arriving at 1955h. Passenger service on the line ended during 1960.

Originally constructed by Canadian Car & Foundry as oil-electric CNR 15834 in 1926, the car would be converted circa 1951 – 1952 from a typical combine with baggage and passenger seating to an all baggage car to be used with two trailers, C-1 and C-2. The C-1 served as a combination RPO car with a seating section for passengers and featured a letter slot used during station stops, while trailer C-2 carried strictly passengers. The paint scheme seen above was applied sometime between 1956 and 1958 (stay tuned, the original scheme will be posted soon) and at the same time included the addition of the centre cab window and the dual sealed beam headlights installed overhead rather than the old “barrel” type.

More of train 662:
At Caledon East, June 1960 by Ian MacDonald.
At Inglewood with conventional equipment, July 1960 by Clayton Morgan.
At Stewarttown, June 1960 by Ian MacDonald.

Original Photographer Unknown, Al Chione Duplicate, Jacob Patterson Collection Slide.

Photographer:
Al Chione Duplicate; Jacob Patterson Collection [202] (more) (contact)
Date: Circa 1958 (search)
Railway: Canadian National (search)
Reporting Marks: CNR D-1 (search)
Train Symbol: 660 (search)
Subdivision/SNS: Oakville Sub (search)
City/Town: Hamilton (search)
Province: Ontario (search)
Share Link: http://www.railpictures.ca/?attachment_id=45490
Click here to Log-in or Register and add your vote.

15 Favourites
View count: 413 Views

Share this image on Facebook, Twitter or email using the icons below
Photo ID: 44249

Map courtesy of Open Street Map

Full size | Suncalc
Note: Read why maps changed. Suncalc.net for reference only.

No comments yet, be the first by adding yours below

Railpictures.ca © 2006-2020 all rights reserved. Photographs are copyright of the photographer and used with permission
Terms and conditions | About us