Welcome Visitor. First time here? Like what you see? Bookmark us for when you are bored, and check out 'top shots' and 'fantastic (editors choice)' in the menu above, you won't be dissapointed. Join our community! click here to sign up for an account today. Sick of this message? Get rid of it by logging-in here.



Facing south, the west side of the GTR 1905 built Allandale station.


  The fourth station to stand on this site, the first built circa 1953 by the broad gauge Ontario, Simcoe & Huron Railroad ( reorganized 1858 to become the Northern Railway of Canada ( converted to standard gauge 1881) and absorbed into the GTR 1888 ) 


  At Allandale, November 18, 1978 Kodachrome by S.Danko


  More Allandale ( aka Barrie ): 


       east side sight 


   Interesting:


    From the left (clarifications welcomed ):  Kempenfeldt Bay is visible through the covered breezeway and the vehicles: a VW  ( Passat ?) wagon ; 197x Buick Le Sabre; 196x  Plymouth Fury; 1978 Chevrolet Caprice; seventies Datsun ( today it's Nissan) wagon; 197x Dodge Monaco or Plymouth taxi; seventies Ford pickup with cap; 


   and in the far distance in the Allandale yard, CN power beside the GTR 1903 built Master Mechanic and Stores Department building ( the turntable was located next to the Mechanic's building)


   To the right of the photographer is the connecting track to the CN Meaford Subdivision ( railway crossing at grade mile 7.5 with CP Rail Mactier Sub) 


   More:


   The CN Office Signals for  CN  Barrie is  ' G O  '


   sdfourty
Copyright Notice: This image ©sdfourty all rights reserved.



Caption:

Facing south, the west side of the GTR 1905 built Allandale station.

The fourth station to stand on this site, the first built circa 1953 by the broad gauge Ontario, Simcoe & Huron Railroad ( reorganized 1858 to become the Northern Railway of Canada ( converted to standard gauge 1881) and absorbed into the GTR 1888 )

At Allandale, November 18, 1978 Kodachrome by S.Danko

More Allandale ( aka Barrie ):

east side sight

Interesting:

From the left (clarifications welcomed ): Kempenfeldt Bay is visible through the covered breezeway and the vehicles: a VW ( Passat ?) wagon ; 197x Buick Le Sabre; 196x Plymouth Fury; 1978 Chevrolet Caprice; seventies Datsun ( today it's Nissan) wagon; 197x Dodge Monaco or Plymouth taxi; seventies Ford pickup with cap;

and in the far distance in the Allandale yard, CN power beside the GTR 1903 built Master Mechanic and Stores Department building ( the turntable was located next to the Mechanic's building)

To the right of the photographer is the connecting track to the CN Meaford Subdivision ( railway crossing at grade mile 7.5 with CP Rail Mactier Sub)

More:

The CN Office Signals for CN Barrie is ' G O '

sdfourty

Photographer:
sdfourty [485] (more) (contact)
Date: 11/18/1978 (search)
Railway: Canadian National (search)
Reporting Marks: n/a (search)
Train Symbol: n/a (search)
Subdivision/SNS: Allandale (search)
City/Town: Barrie (search)
Province: Ontario (search)
Share Link: http://www.railpictures.ca/?attachment_id=46116
Click here to Log-in or Register and add your vote.

11 Favourites
View count: 233 Views

Share this image on Facebook, Twitter or email using the icons below
Photo ID: 44871

Sorry, there is no map for this photo. Photographer did not add GPS co-ordinates. Please add next time or ask for a correction to this photo.


3 Comments
  1. At the time the VW Passat was called a Dasher in North America. A co-worker used to call hers “The Reindeer”.

  2. That’s why they had those long ore trains coming out of northern Ontario. Look at all that Hamilton made steel sitting in the parking lot. Those cars were made in Canada out of Canadian steel, except of course the two imports. Free Trade was still a decade into the future.

  3. As a long time VW parts person the car in question is a VW 411 only built from 1970 til 1974. This is about a 1972 version. Bruce

Railpictures.ca © 2006-2020 all rights reserved. Photographs are copyright of the photographer and used with permission
Terms and conditions | About us