Welcome Visitor. First time here? Like what you see? Bookmark us for when you are bored, and check out 'top shots' and 'fantastic (editors choice)' in the menu above, you won't be dissapointed. Join our community! click here to sign up for an account today. Sick of this message? Get rid of it by logging-in here.

TTC PCC 4599 operates on a fantrip, making the turn from southbound on Church Street to westbound on Wellington. In the background, another TTC PCC can be seen heading eastbound on King Street. The downtown skyline in this part of town was a little less impressive back then than it is today. 4599 was part of a 52-car group of PCC's acquired secondhand from the Cincinnati Street Railway in 1950. Half were pre-war "air-operated" PCC's built by St. Louis Car in 1939/40, classified as TTC "A10" cars 4575-4601, and the other half were the A9 "all-electric" cars 4550-4574 built in 1947). They operated in Toronto for nearly two decades until most of the A10's were included in part of a group of 100 Toronto PCC's sold to Egypt in 1968 (rendered surplus due to the opening of the Bloor-Danforth subway extensions, that replaced the Bloor and Danforth "shuttle" runs). Six of the remaining A10's were sold to Tampico, Mexico in 1971/72, including car 4599.The Church/Wellington/Front intersection was at the south end of the old Church streetcar route (they used to loop Front-Scott-Wellington), which ran all the way up to Bloor ending at Asquith Loop. Regular streetcar service had ended in May 1954 (replaced by buses), but the tracks along the southern part of Church between College & Wellington were retained for short-turns and diversions, and remain in use for that purpose to this day.Mid-century modern bank building at the north-west corner of Church & Wellington has served home to a Toronto Dominion Bank, a Pizza Pizza, and is currently a burger bistro.Foster Morrison photo, Dan Dell'Unto collection slide.
Copyright Notice: This image ©Foster Morrison photo, Dan Dell'Unto coll all rights reserved.



Caption: TTC PCC 4599 operates on a fantrip, making the turn from southbound on Church Street to westbound on Wellington. In the background, another TTC PCC can be seen heading eastbound on King Street. The downtown skyline in this part of town was a little less impressive back then than it is today. 4599 was part of a 52-car group of PCC's acquired secondhand from the Cincinnati Street Railway in 1950. Half were pre-war "air-operated" PCC's built by St. Louis Car in 1939/40, classified as TTC "A10" cars 4575-4601, and the other half were the A9 "all-electric" cars 4550-4574 built in 1947). They operated in Toronto for nearly two decades until most of the A10's were included in part of a group of 100 Toronto PCC's sold to Egypt in 1968 (rendered surplus due to the opening of the Bloor-Danforth subway extensions, that replaced the Bloor and Danforth "shuttle" runs). Six of the remaining A10's were sold to Tampico, Mexico in 1971/72, including car 4599.

The Church/Wellington/Front intersection was at the south end of the old Church streetcar route (they used to loop Front-Scott-Wellington), which ran all the way up to Bloor ending at Asquith Loop. Regular streetcar service had ended in May 1954 (replaced by buses), but the tracks along the southern part of Church between College & Wellington were retained for short-turns and diversions, and remain in use for that purpose to this day.

Mid-century modern bank building at the north-west corner of Church & Wellington has served home to a Toronto Dominion Bank, a Pizza Pizza, and is currently a burger bistro.

Foster Morrison photo, Dan Dell'Unto collection slide.

Photographer:
Foster Morrison photo, Dan Dell'Unto coll [502] (more) (contact)
Date: 08/13/1967 (search)
Railway: Toronto Transit Commission (search)
Reporting Marks: TTC 4599 (search)
Train Symbol: Fantrip (search)
Subdivision/SNS: Church St. & Wellington St. (search)
City/Town: Toronto (search)
Province: Ontario (search)
Share Link: http://www.railpictures.ca/?attachment_id=37889
Click here to Log-in or Register and add your vote.

7 Favourites
View count: 348 Views

Share this image on Facebook, Twitter or email using the icons below
Photo ID: 36696

NEW MAP IN BETA:

Full size | Suncalc
Note: Greedy Google forced us to change and suncalc.net also working on a fix.. stay tuned

2 Comments
  1. I checked – it was a Sunday.
    Unmistakeable for those of us who witnesssed a Toronto Sunday back then. Most things were closed.There wasn’t much traffic at all.

  2. This building also sported a pair of sycamore trees which are rare for the Toronto climate. On Google maps it looks like one is still surviving on Wellington Street

Railpictures.ca © 2006-2020 all rights reserved. Photographs are copyright of the photographer and used with permission
Terms and conditions | About us