Welcome Visitor. First time here? Like what you see? Bookmark us for when you are bored, and check out 'top shots' and 'fantastic (editors choice)' in the menu above, you won't be dissapointed. Join our community! click here to sign up for an account today. Sick of this message? Get rid of it by logging-in here.



A busy scene at Hamilton's James Street North Station as CNR U-2-h 6263; the second last 4-8-4 Confederation type constructed for the CNR by MLW in 1944, hauls a good size passenger train westbound under MacNab Street North.  At left a freight passes eastbound, while at right in the station a CNR U-1-f "Bullet Nosed Betty" (CNR 6060-6079; MLW, 1944) sits waiting to depart.Opening in 1931, the James Street North Station served as the third station on what once was "Hamilton's Railway."  The original, built circa 1854 by the Great Western Railway (headquartered in Hamilton) served the railway until 1875, when the second station was built to accommodate the growth of the railway.  GWR would only use the new station for 7 years however, as the GTR would take control of the company on August 12, 1882.  Ground was broken on James Street North by the Canadian National Railways in 1929 for the new station, which would serve the company as well as VIA Rail, GO Transit and Amtrak trains over the years before closing officially on February 26, 1993.  VIA and Amtrak had moved to the new Aldershot station effective May 25, 1992, leaving only GO Transit serving the station until moving to the TH&B Hunter Street Station in early 1993.  In 2000, LIUNA; the Laborers' International Union of North America, would reopen the station as the LIUNA Station Banquet Hall.  In recent years this area has seen passenger trains stopping again with the opening of GO Transit's West Harbour GO Station in 2015.*Note the dual gauge tracks in the 'original' GWR station photo.  Beginning in 1870, GWR began rebuilding their line from Provincial gauge (5' - 6") to standard gauge for increased traffic from American rails.More James Street North Station:GO Transit in 1991 by John Eull.Amtrak's "The Maple Leaf" in 1992 by Bill MacArthur.A CNR 6167 excursion in 1963 by Harold E. Brouse.
Eastbound Amtrak in 1986 by John Eull.RARE COLOUR PHOTO; General Motor's "Train of Tomorrow" or Aerotrain in 1957 by Doug Page.
Copyright Notice: This image ©Reg Button Collection; Collection of Bob Bratina all rights reserved.



Caption: A busy scene at Hamilton's James Street North Station as CNR U-2-h 6263; the second last 4-8-4 Confederation type constructed for the CNR by MLW in 1944, hauls a good size passenger train westbound under MacNab Street North. At left a freight passes eastbound, while at right in the station a CNR U-1-f "Bullet Nosed Betty" (CNR 6060-6079; MLW, 1944) sits waiting to depart.

Opening in 1931, the James Street North Station served as the third station on what once was "Hamilton's Railway." The original, built circa 1854 by the Great Western Railway (headquartered in Hamilton) served the railway until 1875, when the second station was built to accommodate the growth of the railway. GWR would only use the new station for 7 years however, as the GTR would take control of the company on August 12, 1882. Ground was broken on James Street North by the Canadian National Railways in 1929 for the new station, which would serve the company as well as VIA Rail, GO Transit and Amtrak trains over the years before closing officially on February 26, 1993. VIA and Amtrak had moved to the new Aldershot station effective May 25, 1992, leaving only GO Transit serving the station until moving to the TH&B Hunter Street Station in early 1993. In 2000, LIUNA; the Laborers' International Union of North America, would reopen the station as the LIUNA Station Banquet Hall. In recent years this area has seen passenger trains stopping again with the opening of GO Transit's West Harbour GO Station in 2015.

*Note the dual gauge tracks in the 'original' GWR station photo. Beginning in 1870, GWR began rebuilding their line from Provincial gauge (5' - 6") to standard gauge for increased traffic from American rails.

More James Street North Station:
GO Transit in 1991 by John Eull.
Amtrak's "The Maple Leaf" in 1992 by Bill MacArthur.
A CNR 6167 excursion in 1963 by Harold E. Brouse.
Eastbound Amtrak in 1986 by John Eull.
RARE COLOUR PHOTO; General Motor's "Train of Tomorrow" or Aerotrain in 1957 by Doug Page.

Photographer:
Reg Button Collection; Collection of Bob Bratina [21] (more) (contact)
Date: 08/1951 (search)
Railway: Canadian National (search)
Reporting Marks: CN 6263 (search)
Train Symbol: N/A (search)
Subdivision/SNS: Oakville Sub (search)
City/Town: Hamilton (search)
Province: Ontario (search)
Share Link: http://www.railpictures.ca/?attachment_id=42983
Click here to Log-in or Register and add your vote.

15 Favourites
View count: 1531 Views

Share this image on Facebook, Twitter or email using the icons below
Photo ID: 41768

Map courtesy of Open Street Map

Full size | Suncalc
Note: Read why maps changed. Suncalc.net for reference only.

All comments must be positive in nature and abide by site rules. Anything else may be removed without warning.
No comments yet, be the first by adding yours below

Railpictures.ca © 2006-2022 all rights reserved. Photographs are copyright of the photographer and used with permission
Terms and conditions | About us