Welcome Visitor. First time here? Like what you see? Bookmark us for when you are bored, and check out 'top shots' and 'fantastic (editors choice)' in the menu above, you won't be dissapointed. Join our community! click here to sign up for an account today. Sick of this message? Get rid of it by logging-in here.



Canadian National Railways U-3-a 4-8-4 6300 rests over the ash pit on the servicing tracks at the Sarnia roundhouse during the later years of the steam era.  Transferred north from the states during December 1941 and based out of Mimico, the locomotive originally worked for CNR’s American subsidiary, Grand Trunk Western, and had been built by ALCO in July 1927 as part of a twelve unit order (6300 – 6311).  It would later be scrapped in April 1959.  Note the lack of ‘Grand Trunk’ lettering on the number plate, which had been removed after transfer to CNR.  The interesting contraption overhead straddling three of the tracks is possibly used in connection with the ash pit, perhaps to aid in emptying into OCS gondolas usually kept on the centre track.At far left the catenary of the St. Clair Tunnel Company electric operations can be seen.  The St. Clair Tunnel Company, a Grand Trunk Railway and later CNR subsidiary, began operations in 1891 with the completion of its namesake tunnel beneath the St. Clair River connecting to Grand Trunk Western Railroad operations at Port Huron, Michigan, replacing car float service.  Initial operations began with four Baldwin 0-10-0 Decapod camelback tank engines numbered 598 – 601, which were later modified with the addition of tenders in 1898.  Electric operations began in 1908 with six boxcab locomotives from Baldwin – Westinghouse.  After half a century of electric service, the wires were deenergized on September 28, 1958 with the advent of diesels and all electrics were scrapped within the year.By the latter half of the twentieth century trains had outgrown the size of the St. Clair Tunnel, leading to the construction of a new tunnel, the Paul M. Tellier, which had been constructed throughout 1993 – 1994 officially opening for service April 5, 1995.More U-3-a in Canada:6301 at Clarkson by bill Thomson, 1953.6305 at Niagara Falls by Del Rosamond, 1959.Original Photographer Unknown, Al Chione Duplicate, Jacob Patterson Collection slide.
Copyright Notice: This image ©Al Chione Duplicate; Jacob Patterson Collection all rights reserved.



Caption: Canadian National Railways U-3-a 4-8-4 6300 rests over the ash pit on the servicing tracks at the Sarnia roundhouse during the later years of the steam era. Transferred north from the states during December 1941 and based out of Mimico, the locomotive originally worked for CNR’s American subsidiary, Grand Trunk Western, and had been built by ALCO in July 1927 as part of a twelve unit order (6300 – 6311). It would later be scrapped in April 1959. Note the lack of ‘Grand Trunk’ lettering on the number plate, which had been removed after transfer to CNR. The interesting contraption overhead straddling three of the tracks is possibly used in connection with the ash pit, perhaps to aid in emptying into OCS gondolas usually kept on the centre track.

At far left the catenary of the St. Clair Tunnel Company electric operations can be seen. The St. Clair Tunnel Company, a Grand Trunk Railway and later CNR subsidiary, began operations in 1891 with the completion of its namesake tunnel beneath the St. Clair River connecting to Grand Trunk Western Railroad operations at Port Huron, Michigan, replacing car float service. Initial operations began with four Baldwin 0-10-0 Decapod camelback tank engines numbered 598 – 601, which were later modified with the addition of tenders in 1898. Electric operations began in 1908 with six boxcab locomotives from Baldwin – Westinghouse. After half a century of electric service, the wires were deenergized on September 28, 1958 with the advent of diesels and all electrics were scrapped within the year.

By the latter half of the twentieth century trains had outgrown the size of the St. Clair Tunnel, leading to the construction of a new tunnel, the Paul M. Tellier, which had been constructed throughout 1993 – 1994 officially opening for service April 5, 1995.

More U-3-a in Canada:
6301 at Clarkson by bill Thomson, 1953.
6305 at Niagara Falls by Del Rosamond, 1959.

Original Photographer Unknown, Al Chione Duplicate, Jacob Patterson Collection slide.

Photographer:
Al Chione Duplicate; Jacob Patterson Collection [180] (more) (contact)
Date: Late 1950's (search)
Railway: Canadian National (search)
Reporting Marks: CNR 6300 (search)
Train Symbol: N/A (search)
Subdivision/SNS: Sarnia Roundhouse Service Tracks (search)
City/Town: Sarnia (search)
Province: Ontario (search)
Share Link: http://www.railpictures.ca/?attachment_id=44924
Click here to Log-in or Register and add your vote.

11 Favourites
View count: 212 Views

Share this image on Facebook, Twitter or email using the icons below
Photo ID: 43688

Map courtesy of Open Street Map

Full size | Suncalc
Note: Read why maps changed. Suncalc.net for reference only.

No comments yet, be the first by adding yours below

Railpictures.ca © 2006-2020 all rights reserved. Photographs are copyright of the photographer and used with permission
Terms and conditions | About us