Welcome Visitor. First time here? Like what you see? Bookmark us for when you are bored, and check out 'top shots' and 'fantastic (editors choice)' in the menu above, you won't be dissapointed. Join our community! click here to sign up for an account today. Sick of this message? Get rid of it by logging-in here.



*** Submitted with the help of JACOB PATTERSON - Thank-you MIKE ***


The click of a shutter... and what do we have here... NS&T Electric Motor #21 travelling south on Elm Street approaching the Killaly Street intersection.  The train would soon pass the non-interlocked (flagged) industrial diamond for the Canada Cement company spur that connected the factory to loading docks on the Welland Canal.  The final destination for the train would be the Macey Yard Interchange with the CNR.  The train is hauling boxcars from Robin Hood Flour Mills.  The NS&T was the last railway to reach Port Colborne in 1911, and the construction of Robin Hood in 1940 created a significant source of Freight Revenue for the Company, enough to dedicate an Electric Motor to servicing the facility.  NS&T generally kept Motor #20 or 21 stationed adjacent the current Museum grounds.  #21 was built by the CLC - Canada Locomotive Company in 1927 for the Montreal & Southern Counties coming over to NS&T in 1941, likely due to freight demands at Robin Hood.  The building on the right was the privately built Port Colborne Athletic Club Arena (also called the White Arena), a 2200 seat hockey rink constructed in 1932 that launched the NHL career of of 5 time Stanley Cup Champion- Toronto Maple Leafs Captain - Ted "Teeder" Kennedy who joined the Leafs at age 16.  According to the NS&T author John Mills the last Interurban Trolley passenger run in North America was Thorold to Port Colborne - March 1959.  Electric Motor freight operations continued until the summer of 1960 at which time the line was serviced by Diesel locomotives.  Street running to the Robin Hood terminated in 1983 (or '84) when the tracks were removed as the line was re-routed from Welland south to Robin Hood and the then new "Canada Starch" plant.  The scene looks very much different today, the Cape Cod style homes on the left are still there, the rink was demolished in the late '60's, streets widened and gentrified.
Copyright Notice: This image ©Michael Klauck Collection all rights reserved.



Caption: *** Submitted with the help of JACOB PATTERSON - Thank-you MIKE *** The click of a shutter... and what do we have here... NS&T Electric Motor #21 travelling south on Elm Street approaching the Killaly Street intersection. The train would soon pass the non-interlocked (flagged) industrial diamond for the Canada Cement company spur that connected the factory to loading docks on the Welland Canal. The final destination for the train would be the Macey Yard Interchange with the CNR. The train is hauling boxcars from Robin Hood Flour Mills. The NS&T was the last railway to reach Port Colborne in 1911, and the construction of Robin Hood in 1940 created a significant source of Freight Revenue for the Company, enough to dedicate an Electric Motor to servicing the facility. NS&T generally kept Motor #20 or 21 stationed adjacent the current Museum grounds. #21 was built by the CLC - Canada Locomotive Company in 1927 for the Montreal & Southern Counties coming over to NS&T in 1941, likely due to freight demands at Robin Hood. The building on the right was the privately built Port Colborne Athletic Club Arena (also called the White Arena), a 2200 seat hockey rink constructed in 1932 that launched the NHL career of of 5 time Stanley Cup Champion- Toronto Maple Leafs Captain - Ted "Teeder" Kennedy who joined the Leafs at age 16. According to the NS&T author John Mills the last Interurban Trolley passenger run in North America was Thorold to Port Colborne - March 1959. Electric Motor freight operations continued until the summer of 1960 at which time the line was serviced by Diesel locomotives. Street running to the Robin Hood terminated in 1983 (or '84) when the tracks were removed as the line was re-routed from Welland south to Robin Hood and the then new "Canada Starch" plant. The scene looks very much different today, the Cape Cod style homes on the left are still there, the rink was demolished in the late '60's, streets widened and gentrified.

Photographer:
Michael Klauck Collection [45] (more) (contact)
Date: 06/XX/1956 (search)
Railway: Niagara St. Catharines and Toronto (search)
Reporting Marks: Electric Motor 21 (search)
Train Symbol: Not Provided
Subdivision/SNS: Elm Street (search)
City/Town: Port Colborne (search)
Province: Ontario (search)
Share Link: http://www.railpictures.ca/?attachment_id=47466
Click here to Log-in or Register and add your vote.

17 Favourites
View count: 492 Views

Share this image on Facebook, Twitter or email using the icons below
Photo ID: 46200

Sorry, there is no map for this photo. Photographer did not add GPS co-ordinates. Please add next time or ask for a correction to this photo.


5 Comments
  1. Very nice and historic picture ! One of the few colour pictures of an NS&T electric freight motor trundling along Elm St. Three blocks further south from Killaly and motor 21 swing to the right into the CNR interchange yard. Note the “hitch hiker” on the rear foot board of 21, hanging by one arm, looking back at his buddy running beside the train. No. 21’s motor man staring straight ahead and with no side mirrors, is oblivious to his “passenger” . Question is, where is the pole man ? Could be snoozing in the rear cab motor man’s seat. Thanks for posting, John

  2. Merry Christmas John…thanks for the nice words…I admit to being an Elm Street train “hitchhiker” as well..for a 14 year old kid…it was great fun…enjoy the day…MIKE

  3. Gentz what did the yellow post mean? Merry Christmas.. a nice gift to see this pic.

  4. Yellow posts are car stops. http://www.railpictures.ca/?attachment_id=46952

  5. My guess on the Yellow…Killaly intersection was not a required stop and was proceed with caution…in later years when stop lights were installed at Main/Elm and Killaly/Elm, those 2 intersections had the normal automobile Red Yellow Green plus an additional RED and GREEN were installed in the set for the street running …Merry Christmas Steve

Railpictures.ca © 2006-2020 all rights reserved. Photographs are copyright of the photographer and used with permission
Terms and conditions | About us