Welcome Visitor. First time here? Like what you see? Bookmark us for when you are bored, and check out 'top shots' and 'fantastic (editors choice)' in the menu above, you won't be dissapointed. Join our community! click here to sign up for an account today. Sick of this message? Get rid of it by logging-in here.



A gloomy summer day finds both of CN’s units assigned to Guelph parked in track XW41 across from the station.  Finding both units at the station seems to have been an unusual occurrence as typically the larger unit, usually a GP9 by this time, would be based out of CN Guelph Junction for use on the job to industries in Galt, while the SW1200RS or other similar power would be assigned to the yard job in town.  Power includes CN 4571, rebuilt to CN 7077 in November 1992 and still on the roster as of 2021.  CN 1229, retired 1992, to AMT HT-001, renumbered AMT 002, and finally Sidbec Feruni as their 002.  Disposition unknown.Beyond Wyndham Street, the battlements of the Guelph Armoury, built in 1906, can be seen, still in use today.  Built in the early 1900s and for years part of the scene greeting travelers arriving at the station, the factory at left was in use by Guelph Cotton Mills per a 1907 fire insurance map, and by 1908, taken over by the Louden Machinery Company for the manufacturing of agricultural equipment. The Aspinwall Manufacturing Company would assume operation of the site in 1912 as their only Canadian plant (seen here circa 1915) making equipment for potato farmers, including automated potato planters, sprayers, cutters, sorters, and weeders.  Per a 1929 fire insurance map, the property was part of the textile industry under the Regent Knitting Company, and later by Zephyr Looms and Textiles Inc. in the late 1930s. Zephyr Looms & Textiles worked through the Second World War handling military contracts for uniform articles and other small items. Emerging from the war, the company would rebrand as Textile Industries Ltd. in December 1945, which it would operate as until closing for good in December of 1980. At some point during the 1970s a slight change in the name recognized their location in Guelph on Wyndham Street, as they became known as Wyndham Textile Industries Limited.  The building was demolished in the early 2010s to make way for GO Transit parking..Original Photographer Unknown, Jacob Patterson Collection Slide.
Copyright Notice: This image ©Unknown Photographer; Jacob Patterson Collection all rights reserved.



Caption: A gloomy summer day finds both of CN’s units assigned to Guelph parked in track XW41 across from the station. Finding both units at the station seems to have been an unusual occurrence as typically the larger unit, usually a GP9 by this time, would be based out of CN Guelph Junction for use on the job to industries in Galt, while the SW1200RS or other similar power would be assigned to the yard job in town. Power includes CN 4571, rebuilt to CN 7077 in November 1992 and still on the roster as of 2021. CN 1229, retired 1992, to AMT HT-001, renumbered AMT 002, and finally Sidbec Feruni as their 002. Disposition unknown.

Beyond Wyndham Street, the battlements of the Guelph Armoury, built in 1906, can be seen, still in use today. Built in the early 1900s and for years part of the scene greeting travelers arriving at the station, the factory at left was in use by Guelph Cotton Mills per a 1907 fire insurance map, and by 1908, taken over by the Louden Machinery Company for the manufacturing of agricultural equipment. The Aspinwall Manufacturing Company would assume operation of the site in 1912 as their only Canadian plant (seen here circa 1915) making equipment for potato farmers, including automated potato planters, sprayers, cutters, sorters, and weeders. Per a 1929 fire insurance map, the property was part of the textile industry under the Regent Knitting Company, and later by Zephyr Looms and Textiles Inc. in the late 1930s. Zephyr Looms & Textiles worked through the Second World War handling military contracts for uniform articles and other small items. Emerging from the war, the company would rebrand as Textile Industries Ltd. in December 1945, which it would operate as until closing for good in December of 1980. At some point during the 1970s a slight change in the name recognized their location in Guelph on Wyndham Street, as they became known as Wyndham Textile Industries Limited. The building was demolished in the early 2010s to make way for GO Transit parking..

Original Photographer Unknown, Jacob Patterson Collection Slide.

Photographer:
Unknown Photographer; Jacob Patterson Collection [376] (more) (contact)
Date: 07/1975 (search)
Railway: Canadian National (search)
Reporting Marks: CN 4571, CN 78558, CN 1299 (search)
Train Symbol: N/A (search)
Subdivision/SNS: Guelph Sub. (search)
City/Town: Guelph (search)
Province: Ontario (search)
Share Link: http://www.railpictures.ca/?attachment_id=49313
Click here to Log-in or Register and add your vote.

18 Favourites
View count: 297 Views

Share this image on Facebook, Twitter or email using the icons below
Photo ID: 48038

Map courtesy of Open Street Map

Full size | Suncalc
Note: Read why maps changed. Suncalc.net for reference only.


One Comment
  1. Beauty yard cab.

Railpictures.ca © 2006-2022 all rights reserved. Photographs are copyright of the photographer and used with permission
Terms and conditions | About us