Welcome Visitor. First time here? Like what you see? Bookmark us for when you are bored, and check out 'top shots' and 'fantastic (editors choice)' in the menu above, you won't be dissapointed. Join our community! click here to sign up for an account today. Sick of this message? Get rid of it by logging-in here.



Construction is nearing completion on what would be the world's tallest freestanding structure (until 2007).  The CN Tower will open a little over a year later in June 1976.  Meanwhile far below, locomotives idle on the Spadina engine service tracks including CN 6529, (GMD FP9A, 1957) and an unknown MLW FPB4.  At left a pair of GMD cab units, only FP9A 6542 (1958) identifiable, what appears to be the rear of an MLW FPA cab unit at right, and in the distance near the boarded up roundhouse, an ONR FP7A unit.The Spadina roundhouse was built by Canadian National Railways in 1928 and was home to various steam and diesel power off the passenger trains and for local switching duties.CN 6529 and 6542 were transferred to VIA Rail April 1, 1978 at the start of national passenger operations.  6542 would continue in service until 1994 when it was sold to General Scrap in Winnipeg.  6529 was rebuilt by Pointe Ste Charles shops in 1984 and renumbered to VIA 6311, later modified by in 1997 to replace the steam generator with a head end power generator for use out of Winnipeg on the Churchill run.  It would later be sold in 2002 to IFE Leasing to work for the Washington and Idaho Railroad (WIR) as MRLX, later KRLX  6311, wearing the Southern Pacific 2-tone gray 'Lark' scheme, worn by the railroad's Cascade, Lark, and Overland trains.  The unit returned to Canada in 2014 as RPCX 6311, now residing at the Alberta Railway Museum in Edmonton.
Copyright Notice: This image ©Bruce Lowe; Collection of Guelph Historical Railway Association all rights reserved.



Caption: Construction is nearing completion on what would be the world's tallest freestanding structure (until 2007). The CN Tower will open a little over a year later in June 1976. Meanwhile far below, locomotives idle on the Spadina engine service tracks including CN 6529, (GMD FP9A, 1957) and an unknown MLW FPB4. At left a pair of GMD cab units, only FP9A 6542 (1958) identifiable, what appears to be the rear of an MLW FPA cab unit at right, and in the distance near the boarded up roundhouse, an ONR FP7A unit.

The Spadina roundhouse was built by Canadian National Railways in 1928 and was home to various steam and diesel power off the passenger trains and for local switching duties.

CN 6529 and 6542 were transferred to VIA Rail April 1, 1978 at the start of national passenger operations. 6542 would continue in service until 1994 when it was sold to General Scrap in Winnipeg. 6529 was rebuilt by Pointe Ste Charles shops in 1984 and renumbered to VIA 6311, later modified by in 1997 to replace the steam generator with a head end power generator for use out of Winnipeg on the Churchill run. It would later be sold in 2002 to IFE Leasing to work for the Washington and Idaho Railroad (WIR) as MRLX, later KRLX 6311, wearing the Southern Pacific 2-tone gray 'Lark' scheme, worn by the railroad's Cascade, Lark, and Overland trains. The unit returned to Canada in 2014 as RPCX 6311, now residing at the Alberta Railway Museum in Edmonton.

Photographer:
Bruce Lowe; Collection of Guelph Historical Railway Association [19] (more) (contact)
Date: 03/1975 (search)
Railway: Canadian National (search)
Reporting Marks: CN 6529 (search)
Train Symbol: N/A (search)
Subdivision/SNS: Spadina Servicing Tracks (search)
City/Town: Toronto (search)
Province: Ontario (search)
Share Link: http://www.railpictures.ca/?attachment_id=42806
Click here to Log-in or Register and add your vote.

18 Favourites
View count: 389 Views

Share this image on Facebook, Twitter or email using the icons below
Photo ID: 41592

Map courtesy of Open Street Map

Full size | Suncalc
Note: Read why maps changed. Suncalc.net for reference only.


One Comment
  1. This is wild!

Railpictures.ca © 2006-2020 all rights reserved. Photographs are copyright of the photographer and used with permission
Terms and conditions | About us