Welcome Visitor. First time here? Like what you see? Bookmark us for when you are bored, and check out 'top shots' and 'fantastic (editors choice)' in the menu above, you won't be dissapointed. Join our community! click here to sign up for an account today. Sick of this message? Get rid of it by logging-in here.

Evening rush hour finds TTC PCC 4675 (an ex-Cleveland A-12 class car built in 1946) stopped to load passengers westbound on Queen Street at Bay Street, operating on the busy Queen route bound for Humber Loop. In the background, the T. Eaton Company's historic Queen Street store slowly meets the wrecking ball, having been replaced by the new million square foot Eaton Centre store that opened at Dundas Street three months earlier. The old store was a collection of smaller buildings bought up by the retailing giant as it expanded over the years and combined into one (with nearby factories and budget stores located on adjacent blocks) and was being torn down by Teperman Wrecking in anticipation of expanding the new shopping centre south to Queen St. to meet up with Simpsons on the south side.

The Eatons Queen Street store was always linked with transit in the area: Queen and Yonge were two busy streetcar routes that brought patrons to and from Eaton's doorstep for decades, and when Toronto's Yonge subway line opened in the mid-1950's, Eatons advertised a quick and easy connection between its Queen and College St. stores via their respective subway stations. In addition, "City Hall Loop" (an on-street loop for Dundas cars) looped around a number of Eaton's factories and storefronts to the north-west, removed when the area and local streets were re-configured when the Eaton Centre went in.

Robert D. McMann photo, Dan Dell'Unto collection slide.
Copyright Notice: This image ©Robert D. McMann photo, Dan Dell'Unto coll all rights reserved.



Caption: Evening rush hour finds TTC PCC 4675 (an ex-Cleveland A-12 class car built in 1946) stopped to load passengers westbound on Queen Street at Bay Street, operating on the busy Queen route bound for Humber Loop. In the background, the T. Eaton Company's historic Queen Street store slowly meets the wrecking ball, having been replaced by the new million square foot Eaton Centre store that opened at Dundas Street three months earlier. The old store was a collection of smaller buildings bought up by the retailing giant as it expanded over the years and combined into one (with nearby factories and budget stores located on adjacent blocks) and was being torn down by Teperman Wrecking in anticipation of expanding the new shopping centre south to Queen St. to meet up with Simpsons on the south side.

The Eatons Queen Street store was always linked with transit in the area: Queen and Yonge were two busy streetcar routes that brought patrons to and from Eaton's doorstep for decades, and when Toronto's Yonge subway line opened in the mid-1950's, Eatons advertised a quick and easy connection between its Queen and College St. stores via their respective subway stations. In addition, "City Hall Loop" (an on-street loop for Dundas cars) looped around a number of Eaton's factories and storefronts to the north-west, removed when the area and local streets were re-configured when the Eaton Centre went in.

Robert D. McMann photo, Dan Dell'Unto collection slide.

Photographer:
Robert D. McMann photo, Dan Dell'Unto coll [509] (more) (contact)
Date: 05/04/1977 (search)
Railway: Toronto Transit Commission (search)
Reporting Marks: TTC 4675 (search)
Train Symbol: Queen (wbnd to Humber Loop) (search)
Subdivision/SNS: Queen St. & Bay St. (search)
City/Town: Toronto (search)
Province: Ontario (search)
Share Link: http://www.railpictures.ca/?attachment_id=35307
Click here to Log-in or Register and add your vote.

4 Favourites
View count: 634 Views

Share this image on Facebook, Twitter or email using the icons below
Photo ID: 34116

NEW MAP IN BETA:

Full size | Suncalc
Note: Greedy Google forced us to change and suncalc.net also working on a fix.. stay tuned
No comments yet, be the first by adding yours below

Railpictures.ca © 2006-2020 all rights reserved. Photographs are copyright of the photographer and used with permission
Terms and conditions | About us