Welcome Visitor. First time here? Like what you see? Bookmark us for when you are bored, and check out 'top shots' and 'fantastic (editors choice)' in the menu above, you won't be dissapointed. Join our community! click here to sign up for an account today. Sick of this message? Get rid of it by logging-in here.



'The Canadian' is seen throttling up on it's way out of Toronto, headed for the Newmarket Sub connection at Parkdale, crossing Strachan Avenue by the watchman's tower with a mix of CN painted GM units bracketing the VIA painted B unit.  CN units were transferred to VIA's roster at startup in 1978.
 At this time the gates at Strachan Avenue, protecting the double track Weston Sub, double track CP Galt Sub, and multiple leads into CP's Parkdale Yard were still manually operated.  I wonder if the steam era bell was still mounted on the east side of the tower by this time?  In the background at left, the planing mill of the John B. Smith & Son Lumber Company  still stands.  The company had been located on this site from 1888 to 1967, when the building took on other uses for various tenants.  Today the old planing mill structure remains as Strachan House (est. 1996), supportive housing, and the name is still faintly on the south side of the building seen here.  In the distance at right the CPR Tecumseh Street Tower can be seen.
VIA 6531, built as CN 6531 in May 1957 and transferred to VIA March 31, 1978, sold to Algoma Central as 1755 in 1995, sold in 2003 to Pioneer Rail and assigned to the Gettysburg Scenic Railroad until 2020.  Purchased by the Potomac Eagle excursion group to be used o their trips out of Romney, West Virginia.  Still numbered 1755 and retaining her Algoma colours.CP switcher action at Strachan Avenue.
Copyright Notice: This image ©Bruce Acheson all rights reserved.



Caption: 'The Canadian' is seen throttling up on it's way out of Toronto, headed for the Newmarket Sub connection at Parkdale, crossing Strachan Avenue by the watchman's tower with a mix of CN painted GM units bracketing the VIA painted B unit. CN units were transferred to VIA's roster at startup in 1978. At this time the gates at Strachan Avenue, protecting the double track Weston Sub, double track CP Galt Sub, and multiple leads into CP's Parkdale Yard were still manually operated. I wonder if the steam era bell was still mounted on the east side of the tower by this time? In the background at left, the planing mill of the John B. Smith & Son Lumber Company still stands. The company had been located on this site from 1888 to 1967, when the building took on other uses for various tenants. Today the old planing mill structure remains as Strachan House (est. 1996), supportive housing, and the name is still faintly on the south side of the building seen here. In the distance at right the CPR Tecumseh Street Tower can be seen.

VIA 6531, built as CN 6531 in May 1957 and transferred to VIA March 31, 1978, sold to Algoma Central as 1755 in 1995, sold in 2003 to Pioneer Rail and assigned to the Gettysburg Scenic Railroad until 2020. Purchased by the Potomac Eagle excursion group to be used o their trips out of Romney, West Virginia. Still numbered 1755 and retaining her Algoma colours.

CP switcher action at Strachan Avenue.

Photographer:
Bruce Acheson [129] (more) (contact)
Date: 07/1980 (search)
Railway: VIA Rail (search)
Reporting Marks: VIA 6531 (search)
Train Symbol: 1 (search)
Subdivision/SNS: Weston Sub. (search)
City/Town: Toronto (search)
Province: Ontario (search)
Share Link: http://www.railpictures.ca/?attachment_id=46972
Click here to Log-in or Register and add your vote.

23 Favourites
Photographers like Gold.Log-in or Register to show appreciation
View count: 1129 Views

Share this image on Facebook, Twitter or email using the icons below
Photo ID: 45713

Map courtesy of Open Street Map

Full size | Suncalc
Note: Read why maps changed. Suncalc.net for reference only.

All comments must be positive in nature and abide by site rules. Anything else may be removed without warning.

One Comment
  1. This is awesome

Railpictures.ca © 2006-2023 all rights reserved. Photographs are copyright of the photographer and used with permission
Terms and conditions | About us