Welcome Visitor. First time here? Like what you see? Bookmark us for when you are bored, and check out 'top shots' and 'fantastic (editors choice)' in the menu above, you won't be dissapointed. Join our community! click here to sign up for an account today. Sick of this message? Get rid of it by logging-in here.

In the mid 1990’s the Guelph Junction Railway (GJR) lived a fairly quiet existence serving the city of Guelph with a Canadian Pacific local that was based out of Guelph Jct. in Campbellville.  While the Guelph to Guelph Jct. portion was owned by the city, the GJR line was operated by CP and once extended to Goderich on Lake Huron. Officially named the Goderich Subdivision, the section between Guelph and Goderich was abandoned in 1988 after the last run occurred on December 16, 1988 with GP38-2 3032. The rails between Goderich and the Guelph city limits were lifted in 1989.  

By 1994, the remaining Guelph industries that utilized rail service by GJR included; ABB, Guelph Utility Pole, W.C. Wood Company, the Guelph Co-Op, Huntsman Corporation and Owens Corning, with the latter two getting the most cars. The other customers received rail shipments infrequently and runs to the interchange with CN occurred only as needed during the week. 

The typical weekday for the CP Guelph local’s crew was to switch the small yard and the nearby lumber companies at Guelph Jct. during the morning. This occurred after all the weekly morning GO Transit sets departed eastbound for Toronto. After its work at Guelph Jct. was completed the job would depart westbound on the Galt Subdivision to Puslinch to service the transload that was situated beside the siding and mainline. Following its work here, the local would return to Guelph Jct. where the crew completed any additional switching prior to departing for Guelph if required with usually a small train. 

After arriving light power from Campbellville, here CP GP7u 1501 is seen lifting a hopper car of clay in the yard at Stevenson Street in Guelph. Soon the job would depart for the Owens Corning glass plant located along York Road on a very cold but sunny winter day.
Copyright Notice: This image ©Jason Noe all rights reserved.



Caption: In the mid 1990’s the Guelph Junction Railway (GJR) lived a fairly quiet existence serving the city of Guelph with a Canadian Pacific local that was based out of Guelph Jct. in Campbellville. While the Guelph to Guelph Jct. portion was owned by the city, the GJR line was operated by CP and once extended to Goderich on Lake Huron. Officially named the Goderich Subdivision, the section between Guelph and Goderich was abandoned in 1988 after the last run occurred on December 16, 1988 with GP38-2 3032. The rails between Goderich and the Guelph city limits were lifted in 1989.
By 1994, the remaining Guelph industries that utilized rail service by GJR included; ABB, Guelph Utility Pole, W.C. Wood Company, the Guelph Co-Op, Huntsman Corporation and Owens Corning, with the latter two getting the most cars. The other customers received rail shipments infrequently and runs to the interchange with CN occurred only as needed during the week.
The typical weekday for the CP Guelph local’s crew was to switch the small yard and the nearby lumber companies at Guelph Jct. during the morning. This occurred after all the weekly morning GO Transit sets departed eastbound for Toronto. After its work at Guelph Jct. was completed the job would depart westbound on the Galt Subdivision to Puslinch to service the transload that was situated beside the siding and mainline. Following its work here, the local would return to Guelph Jct. where the crew completed any additional switching prior to departing for Guelph if required with usually a small train.
After arriving light power from Campbellville, here CP GP7u 1501 is seen lifting a hopper car of clay in the yard at Stevenson Street in Guelph. Soon the job would depart for the Owens Corning glass plant located along York Road on a very cold but sunny winter day.

Photographer:
Jason Noe [436] (more) (contact)
Date: 12/28/1995 (search)
Railway: Canadian Pacific (search)
Reporting Marks: CP 1501 (search)
Train Symbol: CP Guelph Local (search)
Subdivision/SNS: CP Goderich Subdivision (search)
City/Town: Guelph (search)
Province: Ontario (search)
Share Link: http://www.railpictures.ca/?attachment_id=42499
Click here to Log-in or Register and add your vote.

9 Favourites
View count: 190 Views

Share this image on Facebook, Twitter or email using the icons below
Photo ID: 41285

Map courtesy of Open Street Map

Full size | Suncalc
Note: Read why maps changed. Suncalc.net for reference only.


4 Comments
  1. Thanks for all the comments guys.

  2. No mistaking that’s a former GP7 by the hood louvers. Very nice winter colours. :-)

  3. Nice shot! I also miss seeing those Sandersville hoppers and also to turn job that ran from Guelph jct to streetsville and return.

  4. Beautiful scene

Railpictures.ca © 2006-2020 all rights reserved. Photographs are copyright of the photographer and used with permission
Terms and conditions | About us