Welcome Visitor. First time here? Like what you see? Bookmark us for when you are bored, and check out 'top shots' and 'fantastic (editors choice)' in the menu above, you won't be dissapointed. Join our community! click here to sign up for an account today. Sick of this message? Get rid of it by logging-in here.



January 14, 1967 was a special day for fans of the Toronto Hamilton & Buffalo Railway, as the Upper Canada Railway Society ran an excursion covering TH&B and NYC lines (NYC owning 73% of the TH&B, CPR the other 27%) in Southern Ontario, and included utilizing an NYC GP9 on the point. Here, the train has finished the first leg of it’s trip from Hamilton – Waterford via Brantford.  Now on the CASO just east of the Main Street overpass, it will run east on the NYC to Welland, turning back west on the TH&B for the final leg, Welland - Hamilton.More of this excursionWaiting to depart Hamilton, Doug PageClimbing the grade at Summit, Doug PageAnother angle at Summit, Bill ThomsonDoug Page Photo, Bruce Acheson Collection Slide.
Copyright Notice: This image ©Doug Page Photo, Bruce Acheson Collection all rights reserved.



Caption: January 14, 1967 was a special day for fans of the Toronto Hamilton & Buffalo Railway, as the Upper Canada Railway Society ran an excursion covering TH&B and NYC lines (NYC owning 73% of the TH&B, CPR the other 27%) in Southern Ontario, and included utilizing an NYC GP9 on the point. Here, the train has finished the first leg of it’s trip from Hamilton – Waterford via Brantford. Now on the CASO just east of the Main Street overpass, it will run east on the NYC to Welland, turning back west on the TH&B for the final leg, Welland - Hamilton.

More of this excursion
Waiting to depart Hamilton, Doug Page
Climbing the grade at Summit, Doug Page
Another angle at Summit, Bill Thomson

Doug Page Photo, Bruce Acheson Collection Slide.

Photographer:
Doug Page Photo, Bruce Acheson Collection [70] (more) (contact)
Date: 01/14/1967 (search)
Railway: Toronto Hamilton and Buffalo (search)
Reporting Marks: NYC 7504, TH&B 404 (search)
Train Symbol: Extra 7504 (search)
Subdivision/SNS: CASO Subdivision (search)
City/Town: Waterford (search)
Province: Ontario (search)
Share Link: http://www.railpictures.ca/?attachment_id=49025
Click here to Log-in or Register and add your vote.

14 Favourites
View count: 238 Views

Share this image on Facebook, Twitter or email using the icons below
Photo ID: 47751

Map courtesy of Open Street Map

Full size | Suncalc
Note: Read why maps changed. Suncalc.net for reference only.


4 Comments
  1. I rode that excursion. Did not get any pictures. Thanks for the memory.

  2. Was one of the best diesel excursions run by the UCRS. As a member of the UCRS Trip Committee back then, we had discussions about whether such a trip would be successful, even riskier starting and ending in Hamilton instead of Toronto. At the time we were very much involved with steam excursions which were profitable, and some of the committee members thought this trip was taking an unnecessary risk. How wrong they were – it was practically a sell-out, a great day and a great trip ! Thank you Doug, and thank you Bruce for posting, John

  3. I suppose rare mileage wins out doesn’t it?

    By then the west end of the TH&B had no service as I recall.

  4. Yes Stephen, rare mileage helped what with the TH&B gas – electric car gone many years before, and being able to ride part of the CASO was an added bonus.

Railpictures.ca © 2006-2020 all rights reserved. Photographs are copyright of the photographer and used with permission
Terms and conditions | About us