Welcome Visitor. First time here? Like what you see? Bookmark us for when you are bored, and check out 'top shots' and 'fantastic (editors choice)' in the menu above, you won't be dissapointed. Join our community! click here to sign up for an account today. Sick of this message? Get rid of it by logging-in here.



Scheduled to depart Guelph at 0740h, Canadian Pacific P1 Mikado 5187 leads train 342 away from the Royal City's CPR station on Eramosa Road, passing beneath the Heffernan Street foot bridge.  The train will be making the first of its twice daily - except Sunday - round trips between Guelph and Guelph Junction with flag stops at Speedwell (0750h), Arkell (0754h), Corwhin (0800h), Moffat (0805h) and finally the junction at 0815h.  Before the month is out, the dedicated passenger train will make its last run on October 25, 1958 before being replaced by a mixed train the following day.The consist seen above utilizing a locomotive and combine held down this short 15.2 mile assignment for only one timetable period from April 27, 1958 through October 25, 1958.  Prior to this the assignment was handled by battery car CPR 9002, known locally as "Old Sparky," and later by gas-electric car CPR 9004.  During this time there were six round trips daily except Sunday between Guelph and Guelph Junction.  It should be noted a daily Hamilton - Goderich and return train operated until April 24, 1955 when Hamilton - Guelph Junction service ceased.  The following day, a mixed train was introduced operating daily except Sunday between Guelph and Goderich with the "shuttle" service provided between Guelph and Guelph Junction.  The mixed between Guelph and the junction would cease circa 1960, leaving the Guelph - Goderich mixed train isolated, likely contributing to its demise on August 4, 1962.Originally constructed in 1881, the Heffernan Street bridge was built to provide pedestrian access to the the downtown core from the east side of the Speed River.  By 1887 this required pedestrians to cross the Guelph Junction Railway line, and shortly after the CPR yard, resulting in the bridge being removed for safety reasons during the early 1900s.  The City of Guelph planned to build the structure seen here to cross both the river and the CPR yard, and construction was completed in 1914.  Unique to Guelph, it has been a vantage point for many photographers.Guelph's 1911 CPR station can be seen beyond the train.  It would be dismantled piece by piece in 1983 for reconstruction in the south end of Cambridge.  Unfortunately, the project ran out of funding with only the foundation built (still there to this day) and some materials sold into private ownership.  The bricks and floor joists would be used as part of a residence in Blandford-Blenheim Township.Just past the combine, the end of the Eramosa Road bridge can be seen, which collapsed during replacement in June 1964, fatally injuring a worker.  Interestingly, the bridge included crossing protection mounted on both ends of the bridge.Original Photographer Unknown, Al Chione Duplicate, Jacob Patterson Collection Slide.
Copyright Notice: This image ©Al Chione Duplicate; Jacob Patterson Collection all rights reserved.



Caption: Scheduled to depart Guelph at 0740h, Canadian Pacific P1 Mikado 5187 leads train 342 away from the Royal City's CPR station on Eramosa Road, passing beneath the Heffernan Street foot bridge. The train will be making the first of its twice daily - except Sunday - round trips between Guelph and Guelph Junction with flag stops at Speedwell (0750h), Arkell (0754h), Corwhin (0800h), Moffat (0805h) and finally the junction at 0815h. Before the month is out, the dedicated passenger train will make its last run on October 25, 1958 before being replaced by a mixed train the following day.

The consist seen above utilizing a locomotive and combine held down this short 15.2 mile assignment for only one timetable period from April 27, 1958 through October 25, 1958. Prior to this the assignment was handled by battery car CPR 9002, known locally as "Old Sparky," and later by gas-electric car CPR 9004. During this time there were six round trips daily except Sunday between Guelph and Guelph Junction.

It should be noted a daily Hamilton - Goderich and return train operated until April 24, 1955 when Hamilton - Guelph Junction service ceased. The following day, a mixed train was introduced operating daily except Sunday between Guelph and Goderich with the "shuttle" service provided between Guelph and Guelph Junction. The mixed between Guelph and the junction would cease circa 1960, leaving the Guelph - Goderich mixed train isolated, likely contributing to its demise on August 4, 1962.

Originally constructed in 1881, the Heffernan Street bridge was built to provide pedestrian access to the the downtown core from the east side of the Speed River. By 1887 this required pedestrians to cross the Guelph Junction Railway line, and shortly after the CPR yard, resulting in the bridge being removed for safety reasons during the early 1900s. The City of Guelph planned to build the structure seen here to cross both the river and the CPR yard, and construction was completed in 1914. Unique to Guelph, it has been a vantage point for many photographers.

Guelph's 1911 CPR station can be seen beyond the train. It would be dismantled piece by piece in 1983 for reconstruction in the south end of Cambridge. Unfortunately, the project ran out of funding with only the foundation built (still there to this day) and some materials sold into private ownership. The bricks and floor joists would be used as part of a residence in Blandford-Blenheim Township.

Just past the combine, the end of the Eramosa Road bridge can be seen, which collapsed during replacement in June 1964, fatally injuring a worker. Interestingly, the bridge included crossing protection mounted on both ends of the bridge.

Original Photographer Unknown, Al Chione Duplicate, Jacob Patterson Collection Slide.

Photographer:
Al Chione Duplicate; Jacob Patterson Collection [519] (more) (contact)
Date: 10/1958 (search)
Railway: Canadian Pacific (search)
Reporting Marks: CPR 5187 (search)
Train Symbol: 342 (search)
Subdivision/SNS: Goderich Sub (search)
City/Town: Guelph (search)
Province: Ontario (search)
Share Link: http://www.railpictures.ca/?attachment_id=50583
Click here to Log-in or Register and add your vote.

20 Favourites
Photographers like Gold.Log-in or Register to show appreciation
View count: 925 Views

Share this image on Facebook, Twitter or email using the icons below
Photo ID: 49294

Map courtesy of Open Street Map

Full size | Suncalc
Note: Read why maps changed. Suncalc.net for reference only.

All comments must be positive in nature and abide by site rules. Anything else may be removed without warning.

6 Comments
  1. Interestingly, the extra flags were up on multiple runs during the last month of service despite being a scheduled train. They can be seen in other photos during this time.

  2. Jacob: Sometimes looking at these photos with some sort of ‘awe’ I am at a loss of words to comment on them; other than to say they are historically fantastic.

  3. Jacob…I will chime in with a resounding echo of Arnold’s comment…the photographer is if of course the most important in the chain of events here, but your research, restoration, and posting ensures that this brilliant image lives on for the future…she is a beauty,…MIKE

  4. Agreed, thanks gents. It is unfortunate how many slides have no name connected with them, let alone a date, location, or other information. This is a fantastic image, which I’d initially thought to be from Bob Sandusky. He had chased the train on October 18, 1958 but did not shoot this angle.

  5. Where in Cambridge was it going to be rebuilt? I’d like to look it up on Google Maps.

  6. It was to be rebuilt on the north east corner of Highway 24 and Myers Road. There is a plaza there now with railway station themed buildings plus a CN PSC van (ice cream shop). Enter off Myers Road and the foundation will be on the right.

Railpictures.ca © 2006-2023 all rights reserved. Photographs are copyright of the photographer and used with permission
Terms and conditions | About us